Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Odd 1 Out: Fun Developing Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making Skills
Punflay, the makers of Word Wall HD are at it again. Odd 1 Out is a visually appealing and fun educational app geared towards kindergarteners. When I was contacted to review this app, I couldn’t say no once I saw the cute little ladybugs. My girls room is done in a ladybug theme and my poor four year old still wears items with ladybugs on them. I fear that she will be 18 years old one day and still wearing ladybug embellished clothing!
When you first open Odd 1 Out, you are presented with a choice of practice or challenge mode. The difference between the two modes is time. With the challenge mode, you need to complete the objective within 60 seconds, in practice mode there is no time limit.
In either mode, you can choose fruits, colors, or shapes. If you choose either fruits or shapes, you will be given your objective (find 5 mangos or 5 triangles). The screen will then show you bugs moving back and forth on the screen holding different fruits. You tap the correct item when you see it to gain a star, 5 stars and you move on to the next level. Tap the wrong item and a star will be taken away. If you choose color, you will be asked to find the red bug, or blue bug, or yellow bug, etc. Same principle though.
I love the graphics, and so do both of my daughters. I love the fact that one app incorporates multiple skills –especially listening skills! My four year old has issues with the listening skills in real life –or is that any four year old? Anyway, by hearing the objective and seeing the item she needs to find, it is forcing her to actually pay attention to something she is playing/learning. Win-win for everyone involved.
Although the app descriptions says it is good for kindergarteners, I would say it is also very good for preschoolers. My four year old is not one of those super smart children who learned to read when they were in the womb…..she’s an average four year old with a 15 year old attitude and she loved the game and was able to complete the levels easily but it was also challenging enough to keep her interested without too much frustration.
Odd 1 Out is available for the iPad in iTunes ($0.99 at time of review)
Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of this app to review. All opinions and experiences are my own.
Related articles










